Business Case For Oral Health 2019 Packet
- Letter Template to Friends and Colleagues https://docdro.id/Kwz8wA1
Related Resources (General)
- Inside Dentistry (March 2018): The Changing Face of Care https://www.aegisdentalnetwork.com/id/2018/03/the-changing-face-of-care
- The New York Times (March 2018, Austin Frakt): Medicare Doesn’t Equal Dental Care https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/upshot/medicare-missing-dental-coverage.html
- The Wall Street Journal (February 2018, Lucette Lagnado): In Hospitals, Pneumonia Is a Lethal Enemy https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-hospitals-pneumonia-is-a-lethal-enemy-1518868800?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1
- Healthline (September 2017, Elizabeth Pratt): Dental Exams Can Detect Signs of Disease Elsewhere in the Body http://www.healthline.com/health-news/dental-exams-can-detect-disease-elsewhere#1
- BusinessWire (April 2017): CareMore Announces Pioneering New Model of Integrated Dental Care and Chronic Disease Management http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170410006064/en
- The Atlantic (March 2017, Julie Beck): Why Dentistry is Separate from Medicine https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/03/why-dentistry-is-separated-from-medicine/518979
- USA Today (March 2017, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/02/kaiser-dentistry-advocates-aim-fill-medicare-gaps/98649148/ ): Dentistry Advocates Aim to Fill Medicare Gaps
- Health Affairs (January 2017, Brian Powers, R. Bruce Donoff, and Sachin H. Jain): Bridging The Dental Divide: Overcoming Barriers To Integrating Oral Health and Primary Care http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2017/01/19/bridging-the-dental-divide-overcoming-barriers-to-integrating-oral-health-and-primary-care/
- United Concordia (2017): The Value of Going to a Dentist https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ucc/valueofgoingtothedentist/index.php#/1
- United Concordia (2014): The Mouth - The Missing Piece to Overall Wellness and Lower Medical Costs https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ucc/themouth/
- Gerontological Society of America: Oral Health: An Essential Element of Healthy Aging https://www.geron.org/programs-services/alliances-and-multi-stakeholder-collaborations/oral-health-an-essential-element-of-healthy-aging
Related Resources (Diabetes)
- Mayo Clinic: Diabetes Complications www.mayoclinic.org
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes and Oral Health Problems www.diabetes.org
- American Diabetes Association: Statistics About Diabetes www.diabetes.org
Relevant Studies (General)
- “National Health Expenditure Data,” Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, www.cms.gov.
- Margaret J. Hall, Ph.D., Pinyao Rui, M.P.H., and Alexander Schwartzman, " Emergency Department Visits by Patients Aged 45 and Over with Diabetes: United States, 2015," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, NCHS Data Brief No. 301, February 2018, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db301.htm.
- Christopher S. Girod, Scott A. Weltz and Susan K. Hart, “2017 Milliman Medical Index,” May 16, 2017, www.milliman.com/mmi.
- Thomas Wall and Marko Vujicic, “Emergency Department Use for Dental Conditions Continues to Increase,” Health Policy Institute Research Brief, American Dental Association, April 2015, http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science%20and%20Research/HPI/Files/HPIBrief_0415_2.ashx.
- Uma Kelekar, Ph.D., “Economic Costs of Oral Care in the United States in 2014,” 2015.
- Marjorie K. Jeffcoat, Robert L. Jeffcoat, Patricia A. Gladowski, James B. Bramson, Jerome J. Blum, “Impact of Periodontal Therapy on General Health: Evidence From Insurance Data for Five Systemic Conditions,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol. 47, No. 2, August 2014, 166-174.
- Douglas B. Berkey and Frank A. Scannapieco, “Medical Considerations Relating to the Oral Health of Older Adults,” Special Care in Dentistry, Vol. 33, No. 4, August 2013, 164-176.
- "Preventing Dental Caries: School-Based Dental Sealant Delivery Programs," The Community Guide, April 2013, www.thecommunityguide.org.
- Carrie Sona, Jeanne Zack, Marilyn E. Schallom, Maryellen McSweeney, Kathleen M. McMullen, James Thomas, “The Impact of a Simple, Low-Cost Oral Care Protocol on Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Rates in a Surgical Intensive Care Unit,” Journal of Intensive Care Medicine, Vol. 24, No. 1, Jan-Feb 2009, 54-62.
- Matthew F. Savage, Jessica Y. Lee, Jonathan B. Kotch, William F. Vann, Jr., “Early Preventive Dental Visits: Effects on Subsequent Utilization and Costs,” Pediatrics, Vol. 114, No. 4, October 2004.
- Michael J. Kanellis, Peter C. Damiano, Elizabeth T. Momany, “Medicaid Costs Associated with the Hospitalization of Young Children for Restorative Dental Treatment Under General Anesthesia,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, Vol. 60, No. 1, March 2000, 28-32.
- Catherine Hayes, David Sparrow, Michel Cohen, Pantel S. Vokonas, Raul I. Garcia, “The Association Between Alveolar Bone Loss and Pulmonary Function: The VA Dental Longitudinal Study,” Annals of Periodontology, Vol. 3, No. 1, August 1998, 257-261.
Relevant Studies (Diabetes)
- Wenya Yang, Timothy M. Dall, Pragna Halder, Paul Gallo, Stacey L. Kowal, Paul F. Hogan, “Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2012,” Diabetes Care, Vol. 36, No. 4, April 2013, 1033-1046.